The Good: HMX-QF20 is a lightweight and small shoot-and-share camcorder. It has 20x optical zoom along with Wi-Fi for backups, uploads directly to Picasa, YouTube and Facebook.
The Bad: The product’s video isn’t HD- quality really and it is just good for viewing small sizes. The HD recordings could not be wire lessly uploaded and the back-up of Wi-Fi comes with Windows only.
The Bottom Line: Samsung HMX-QF20 is perfect for good-quality video to be shared on web and has lens with 20x zoom.
Where To Buy: eBay, Amazon.com
- Manufacturer: Samsung
- Part Number: HMX-QF20BN/XAA
- Packaged Quantity 1
- Product Type Camcorder – 1080i
- Enclosure Color Black
- Camcorder Sensor Resolution 5.1 megapixels
- Effective Video Resolution 1.75 megapixels
- Digital Zoom 40 x
- Camcorder Media Type Flash card
- Optical Sensor Size 1/4″
- Optical Sensor Type BSI-CMOS
- Min Illumination 3 lux
- Analog video format NTSC
- Digital Video Format H.264
- Image Stabilizer Optical
- Wireless Connection IEEE 802.11b/g/n
- Shooting modes Digital photo mode
- White Balance Automatic, Presets, Custom
- White Balance Presets Fluorescent, Incandescent, Cloudy, Daylight
- Exposure Modes Program, Automatic, Manual
- Image Recording Format JPEG
- Widescreen Video Capture Yes
- AV Interfaces HDMI, Composite video/audio
Exposure & White Balance
- Exposure Compensation ±2 EV range, in 1/3 EV steps
- Type Schneider-Kreuznach 20 x x Zoom lens – 2.6 mm – 52 mm – F/1.8-3.9
- Lens aperture F/1.8-3.9
- Features Built-in lens shield
- Optical zoom 20 x
- Lens system type Zoom lens
- Min focal length 2.6 mm
- Max focal length 52 mm
- Auto Focus TTL contrast detection
- Filter Size 13.6 mm
- Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera 38.4 – 768 mm
- Focus Adjustment Manual,
- Zoom Adjustment Motorized drive
- Self Timer Delay 10 sec
- Low Lux / Night Mode Yes
- Additional Features Display brightness control,
Shake It function,
YouTube capture mode,
Camera orientation detection,
Dual image stabilization,
USB 2.0 compatibility,
Slow motion playback,
- Software Drivers & Utilities
- Included Accessories USB cable,
AC power adapter
- Viewfinder Type None
- Type 2.7 in LCD display
- Connector Type 1 x USB, 1 x Composite video/audio output, 1 x HDMI output
Memory / Storage
- Media type Flash card
- Memory Card Slot SD card
- Supported Memory Cards SD Memory Card
- Image Storage JPEG 3072 x 1728, JPEG 1920 x 1080
- Video Capture H.264 – 1920 x 1080,H.264 – 1280 x 720, H.264 – 720 x 480, H.264 – 432 x 240
System Requirements For PC Connection
- Operating System Support MS Windows 7,
MS Windows XP SP2,
MS Windows Vista
- Peripheral Devices USB port
- Supported Battery 1 x Li-ion rechargeable battery ( Included )
- Audio input type Microphone
- Microphone Operation Mode Stereo
- Service & Support 1 year warranty
- Service & Support Details Limited warranty – Parts and labor – 1 year
- Min Operating Temperature 32 °F
- Max Operating Temperature 104 °F
Viewfinder / Display
- Display Features Rotating (270°)
- Width 1.7 in
- Depth 4.7 in
- Height 2.1 in
- Weight 6.3 oz
The models with high-definition entry-level as HMX-Q20 are available in the form of “full HD” and use sensors with low resolution. The video could be interpolated till HD resolutions. It is not only Samsung which is doing that with its entry-level models but JVC, Sony, Panasonic and Canon are doing it too. Unluckily, the method for getting HD resolution produces videos that look just average. If someone wishes for a better result than any smartphone, then this product might not satisfy you. But if you just want Web-friendly automatic video clips with 20x zoom in compact body, you might find this product a good choice.
The Quality Of The Camcorder’s Video
The video produced is not what you would like to watch on some large HDTV, even big size computer monitor. Usually the video clips have artifacts, noise, are soft and do not include all the fine detail. One pleasing thing is the color but the highlights get blown out easily. Reducing video to the size of Web-player makes it appear better looking. Scenes do look mushy, flat and not high definition, indifferent to the resolution they go recorded at. Taking the shoot at 720p causes the scenes to get softer, with less artifacts and noise.
All this is in surroundings with enough light. Indoors or low light shooting also gives about the same quality, with the autofocus at work. So if you are not very hard to please and only want to share video with small size, the quality isn’t that bad.
Optical stabilization of image is one advantage QF20 has, compared to its competitors. It makes a difference when you are choosing between QF20 and another Samsung model with electronic stabilization of image.
The Features And Design Of QF20
- The weight and size
One good feature is QF20’s size, lightweight and the fact that it is convenient to shoot with and also quite small to be put in a small bag or a large pocket. Where the controls are concerned, QF20 is majorly like HMX-W300 minicamcorder by Samsung.
- Location of common buttons and slots
The slot for SD card and the battery of QF20 are housed in internal compartment towards the bottom. It keeps the back side free for record button the zoom control on its right and left. On record button’s above and also below, buttons for the feature My Clip are found that are used for tagging any scene in clip so that it could be watched easily over and over, without rewinding or fast-forwarding.
- Some controls and features
The camcorder is turned on or off by closing and opening the touch screen of 2.7 inch, as there isn’t any power button. On lens barrel’s right side is located a switch to operate lens cover and except for Home button with LCD, all of the other controls are operated by the touch screen which is quite responsive but the size can cause difficulty in accurate taping on things.
Screen could be rotated by 180 degrees so you need not record just blindly. You can also rotate to 90 degrees down, allowing you to shoot overhead easily. The LCD, though, is not very good, so seeing when in full sun could be quite difficult.
Behind a door that is sliding and inside screen cavity, there are Micro-USB and Micro-HDMI ports, along with a small AV output. There isn’t any jack for headphone input or external mic. Also, there isn’t any way for adjusting mic’s sensitivity. If something very loud is being recorded, it’ll result in the mic being overloaded.
- Use of sensor within
An inside sensor lets you use the camcorder in your right or left hand, by flipping the image. The image gets flipped by a little tilt either to a bit too far right or left.If you don’t want the sensor working, you could shut it in menu system.
- Automatic shooting and different modes
The product is designed for the purpose of automatic shooting, although Manual mode exists too. The mode of Smart Auto chooses the particular settings according to 10 types of scenes, including the macro and the backlit subjects. It sure works well. The Manual mode helps to adjust white balance, focus, brightness and turn backlight compensation on.
Among many shooting options are the Art Film mode which applies the effects of Ghost, Sepia, Dazzle and Western etc. and there are other modes as Art Time for different effects and Vertical Smart Auto to record thin and tall movies.
- Helpful sharing software and uploading of videos
After shooting, QF20 has features for editing, sharing software etc. Intelli studio is the software with many editing tools and is also used to quickly upload to sites for sharing as Facebook and YouTube. The Wi-Fi, that is a built-in feature, could be helpful for backups of videos to Windows computer, streaming to DLNA-supported devices, as Web-Tvs, from the camcorder and also uploading directly to Facebook etc. Setting up wireless is quite easy but password entry could be troublesome. You would also be unable to connect with any of the hot spots of public which require agreeing to terms. Also, wireless uploads of videos at 720p can’t be uploaded. The product has the resolution to create two clips, at 1,280×720-pixel and the other at 432×240-pixel resolution. There isn’t any feature in the camcorder to change the 720p or 1080i resolution to a lower level.
HMX-QF20 is not recommended basically because the video quality is not so good. You will be paying for the size, weight, design, Wi-Fi features and zoom lens. If you intend to buy something at economical rate just to shoot movies that are Web-friendly, then it might be the right product. But the ones looking for better video quality than a normal smartphone should consider to spend some more monet to go for higher-end camcorders as Lumix ZS20 by Panasonic.